Tesla Forum - Buying, Driving and Service of Tesla Car

Tesla Forum - club fans of Tesla Car

Buying, driving and service of Tesla
It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 08:55

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:49 
Администратор

How can the impact of winter season on the operation of electric vehicles, and in particular Tesla Model S? Manufacturers claim that the number of owners of this model, there are inhabitants of the polar circle.

Judging by the roller, no problems with operation at sub-zero temperatures can not occur. With the concept of the best handling on snow-covered road can agree 100%. The lack of "intermediate" elements (transmission, clutch) allows much more effective to respond in tandem to the driver of a car on an icy coating.

But what happens to the batteries at a temperature of 15° -30°C? The question remains open. While there are certain facts:
During charging and recovery process in the drive unit Li-ion battery heated automatically.
Water cooling system to compensate for the excess heat.
Many owners of the Model S watching the battery drops at temperatures below zero.

The Tesla owner from Norway Bjorn, took a series of clips showing work in a car in the Northern region:

questions Remain regarding the operation of the Tesla in the winter:
How will the batteries if the car remains on the street or in an unheated garage when the temperature is -15° C or -25°C?

Will the battery pack required 8 years under such conditions?

If you have any thoughts about this, I would like to hear.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:50 
Администратор

If you take the experience of ordinary mobile phone, then charging it is greatly reduced in the cold. I think that Tesla will be well – the lower the degree, the less time. Though, maybe the designers and provided some modes of warm-up.

Администратор

About reducing energy source – the battery pack in Tesla consists of several thousand cells that are used selectively. The onboard computer determines which of them are charged optimally (from 20 to 80%) and which are not. He just takes the charge on "weak" areas.

Администратор

Yes, but it did not resolve the question of winter running. Suppose the situation – the car is on the street at minus 25. How it will behave with the battery at the same time? I think that energy should significantly deteriorate. Although the producers promise 8 years guarantee and free replacement. A bold statement.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:51 
Администратор

Show me a Tesla owner who would leave their expensive car on the street, under the house? The price is about 150 thousand euros. Sure to be equipped warm garage with all the bells and whistles.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:51 
Администратор

Most likely, the battery of the electric vehicle when you stand on much the cold will discharge faster, and the service life is noticeably reduced. The conclusion is clear: the electric car requires a warm garage. But to build it yourself - not everyone has a similar opportunity.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:52 
Администратор

Having the opportunity to buy a Model S for 150 thousand, you can take care of a warm garage? In an extreme case, there are a lot of paid indoor Parking lots, where the temperature even in the most severe frosts are quite reasonable. It's a different price category. Of course I'll be glad when the incomes of Russians will grow as that morning looking out the window you will see the Playground neat row Model S. But alas, it is not yet possible.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:52 
Администратор

admin wrote:
Most likely, the battery of the electric vehicle when you stand on much the cold will discharge faster, and the service life is noticeably reduced. The conclusion is clear: the electric car requires a warm garage. But to build it yourself - not everyone has a similar opportunity.

And how much do you faster? Manufacturer Tesla Motors will immediately and warns all its clients that the battery will be discharged over the day by 0.5 - 1 percent.
Norwegian conducted an experiment: he left his Tesla in the Parking lot in the winter. In 27 days loss of charge was 20 %. It is those indicators that are announced by the manufacturer. As to the warm garage then I certainly agree. This car is just a crime to leave a simple Parking lot.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:53 
Администратор

I agree, I think, you should not buy a Tesla just for the sake of a dream – had saved their entire life, and now the money on the garage not even. Of course the battery will fall, the car was designed not for our conditions, and hardly any other car can boast that its battery is not discharged in the cold.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:54 
Администратор

Cold engine start, it is a cold start. Even on a petrol vehicle during winter operation it is desirable to have a brand new battery. The life of a typical battery during cold start-up is reduced, and also drops his own charge